• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

OnlyAfro watches pc players experience the magic of Mr. Butt Face
To be fair I don't think anybody expects the Heat Wave during their first couple encounters.

That dumb-ass with the fireballs was asking for it though.

I'm on patch 1.04 on the PS3 and I got the extra Giant's Soul just yesterday, this is weird.
Possibly they patched that in. Most likely. I did attempt it before it, so...

Havel's Set in a nutshell.
In DS1 it was a real threat but poise is total garbage in DS2. Going into battle dressed like a tank doesn't yield the benefits it used to.

I know being a douche is already kinda OnlyAfro's thing but a Sunbro that doesn't help...sorry, that's taking it too far. A Sunbro has to honor the teachings of Solaire, AT ALL TIMES!
Also, gotta "love" the pretentiousness in the comments section: Hurr durr Smelter's the easiest boss. FUKN CASULS AMIRITE
I mean, yeah, a caster build with 1.04 Lucatiel to tank him and you can beat Smelter blindfolded but try a melee build for the REAL experience. And pray tell, if Smelter's the easiest, who's the hardest besides the Ancient Dragon?

Anyway, having some trouble figuring where to place my Twinkling investments. Going to upgrade a +10 Lightning Dragon Chime but I'm wondering about Sunset Staff (dunno if I should infuse it or not) and a Enchanted Old Whip...
I wish we could buy unlimited amounts of Twinkling Titanite. I wouldn't even mind coughing up 50K a piece. Sitting here on a 1000000+ souls and nothing to spend it on.

EDIT: beat Vendrick in two tries.
Another testimony to how easy some match ups can be to caster builds. And having 5 souls helped. Also Great Resonant Soul.
In any case, poor Vendrick might be the only boss that gets easier with NG+. I mean, he already OHKOs the player in NG so what the hell can he do in NG+? :P

Last edited:
Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Yeah, also hackers. I met some in bell tower. Basically you catch them in combo or backstabbing and they do not get any damage.

To be fair I don't think anybody expects the Heat Wave during their first couple encounters.
Do they really just "first try" summoning a sunbro? Do they even try to see any patterns to make sunbro's job little easier? Really, I was caught by wave in first try, died from fire damage through shield in second, but I killed him in third run. I think I can call him a really easy boss.

I wish we could buy unlimited amounts of Twinkling Titanite. I wouldn't even mind coughing up 50K a piece. Sitting here on a 1000000+ souls and nothing to spend it on.
Try to "bonfire ascetic" on dragon's plateau (lots of nimble ones). I did it for dragon bones.
Also isn't +5 is max for twinkling items?

Ouch, doubleposted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smilax
Do they really just "first try" summoning a sunbro? Do they even try to see any patterns to make sunbro's job little easier? Really, I was caught by wave in first try, died from fire damage through shield in second, but I killed him in third run. I think I can call him a really easy boss.
My first playthrough, with a pure melee build, I tried solo-ing him a few times. At the time, taking Lucatiel was more of a hindrance than a help as she would get killed even before he hits phase 3 (now she can tank him the whole fight and get away with over half her HP, that's how much of a buff she got). Got killed so many times, I went back and cleared the Shaded Woods so I could get some progress done. In the end, a miracle casting Sunbro helped me. All I had to do was keep Smelter focused on me all the time.

I personally think he's the hardest boss in the game alongside Velstadt (Scorpioness Nascar makes a interesting 1x1 too), even though the bosses that took me the most attempts were Vendick and Dorklurker, both for my first build. Vendrick because 4 souls and Darklurker because melee builds are majestically screwed against him but in both those instances, I just call bullshit. Smelt It and Paladin Leeroy Excelsus, I found to be genuinely difficult, IF you fight them solo with a melee build.
With my hexer, Nashandra was probably the only one who really gave me some trouble...but with my melee build, I beat her at first attempt. Match-ups and a little luck mean a lot in this game, especially the later. Dark Souls is a little capricious like that, the same actions don't always lead to the same reactions; a good example of that would be the Chasms were the game can randomly aggro all the enemies even if you're meticulously sticking to your one-at-a-time plan. A prequel example would be the Four Kings going into Fuck You Mode and just spam Magic Nukes.

Anyway, this is the final boss the game needed:
842.jpg

Try to "bonfire ascetic" on dragon's plateau (lots of nimble ones). I did it for dragon bones.
Also isn't +5 is max for twinkling items?
Yeah, everyone says that the best method. Still, a considerable hassle compared to DS1 where you have a really good farming spot (Seath's boss room adjacent to a place that only has Twinkling-dropping enemies) and the Giant Blacksmith sold a unlimited amount for 8000 a piece (you might know this but just giving context to those who might not).
And yeah, twinkling gear maxes at +5. I think each piece of equipment requires 9 Twinklings to max. Problem is, most of the stuff I want to max requires Twinkling Titanite. Why did those sadists made all the cool stuff require it? =A=

Speaking of DS1, weapons and NPCs, it's yet another couple of complaints - DS2's NPCs run out of dialogue too quickly which is probably because there's around twice as many. Quantity isn't quality, From. :P
And as for weapons, I hope DS2 gets some DLC with kewl weapons like the Artorias of the Abyss chapter. That DLC had a lot of really cool move sets, like the Abyss Greatsword and Gold Tracer...but then again, I still haven't tried power stancing anything besides fist weapons (it will be my third build, focused on DEX and dual-wielding).

Possibly they patched that in. Most likely. I did attempt it before it, so...

In DS1 it was a real threat but poise is total garbage in DS2. Going into battle dressed like a tank doesn't yield the benefits it used to.

P
That's true. As a Dex/melee build though with Light armor and Dual Falchions/I usually end up trading hits and then getting stun locked....I guess I just need to go back to DS 1 days of backstab fishing....

Got killed so many times, I went back and cleared the Shaded Woods so I could get some progress done. In the end, a miracle casting Sunbro helped me. All I had to do was keep Smelter focused on me all the time.
Gyrm shield and greatsword +10 just did it for me. I'm big weapons guy all along.

@Balder tends to type walls of text, but unlike other people I actually look forward to what he has to say because it's usually important, educational, or funny. Scorpioness Nascar, Jesus Christ...

You are not a boring guy Balder, I applaud you.

I was always wondering, why is so many bloodstains in Majula's mansion, and just now saw a video in "funny videos" thread... Wait, but ascetics much more valuable, isn't it?
who didn't see

NO SPACE JAM MASH-UPS, I AM SOOOOO SICK OF THOSE.

For real though, Space Jam was my favorite movie growing up, I'm glad that its titular song still gets attention.

Last edited:
Gyrm shield and greatsword +10 just did it for me. I'm big weapons guy all along.
Indeed. But you have to realize I'm part of that elite group of masochistic morons that level up very sparingly. I think I was at SL45 when I served as decoy so a Sunbro could Lightning Spear his ass to kingdom come beat it.

What is your favorite Souls track and what is your favorite Souls Mash-Up?
This isn't just a favorite Souls track. It's a favorite among favorites. Lost count of the minutes this kept me company:

Can't say anything about mash-ups, those aren't my thing.
And curse you for being explicit about "Souls Mash-Up". That rendered my I don't know what this has to do with the topic. lark null. <:3

Have a remix instead. A tribute to these geniuses (sadly, one of them is no longer with us).

[You are not a boring guy Balder, I applaud you.
Most of my acquaintances would beg to differ. (.__.)

Anyway, started my NG++ adventures. Besides making it to Casper so I can buy the last pyro and last miracle for the respective trophies and, of course, finalizing the build, the main objective will be getting to rank 2 Bellbro so I get the last sorcery ...which is not gonna be easy. I'm so not cut out for random PvP. Hell! invasions still give me the chills.
I'll likely have to re-spec because the weaknesses of a glass cannon caster are becoming ever more apparent. And by weaknesses I mean, "do something besides Great Resonant Soul and hope it kills them in one shot". #FraudSouls -_-"

And a random note to the novelty Moon Butterfly Set: the chest piece changes the forward roll (and even the dash!) to a forward hop, something that's remarkably awkward and will probably get me killed more times than that poison effect is worth.

Reactions: Smilax
So I finally learned dark magic on my Dex/Int Character. I have to say it's dumb, I mean I love destroying people who hide behind thier shields and havels set with dark fog and great resonant soul....but it's too damned easy and I feel dirty for using it.

Dark Magic is the 3s Chun of Dark Souls.

So I finally learned dark magic on my Dex/Int Character. I have to say it's dumb, I mean I love destroying people who hide behind thier shields and havels set with dark fog and great resonant soul....but it's too damned easy and I feel dirty for using it.

Dark Magic is the 3s Chun of Dark Souls.
I feel the same way - after one shotting another player for over 1,000 damage, I can't help but think those resonant souls need a nerf. I mean, it's not like souls are hard to come by, especially if you use the life protection rings so that you never lose them.

A friend just told me about the rings you can only get by going through the game without dying and never using a bonfire (two separate tasks, I think). Makes me glad that there's not a trophy for rings this time around :P

I can't help but think those resonant souls need a nerf.
70c.gif

I NEED IT! I CAN'T BEAT PEOPLE WITH SKILL! I NEED MY STUPIDLY CHEAP ATTACK! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, YOU CRYBABY SCRUBS! LEARN AND ADAPT INSTEAD OF WHINING AND DEMANDING NERFS! YOU JUST DON'T WANT TO GIT GUD! #FGC

But in all seriousness and in a semi-defense of GRS's power, my character's a glass cannon. Any player in my SL range can kill me in two hits, if not less. Me getting a kill with two GRSs is just evening the playing field.

Let me at least get rank 2 Bellbro, then they can nerf it. I think I hate being in that covenant more than putting up their crap. I got like 8 summons in my last session. In 2 the guy died before I got there, my first kill was a double KO, my only other kill was thanks to ganking and everyone else whooped me good. I'm the worst Bellbro in all of Drangleic... orz

Reactions: Yusuke Urameshi
I NEED IT! I CAN'T BEAT PEOPLE WITH SKILL! I NEED MY STUPIDLY CHEAP ATTACK! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, YOU CRYBABY SCRUBS! LEARN AND ADAPT INSTEAD OF WHINING AND DEMANDING NERFS! YOU JUST DON'T WANT TO GIT GUD! #FGC

But in all seriousness and in a semi-defense of GRS's power, my character's a glass cannon. Any player in my SL range can kill me in two hits, if not less. Me getting a kill with two GRSs is just evening the playing field.

Let me at least get rank 2 Bellbro, then they can nerf it. I think I hate being in that covenant more than putting up their crap. I got like 8 summons in my last session. In 2 the guy died before I got there, my first kill was a double KO, my only other kill was thanks to ganking and everyone else whooped me good. I'm the worst Bellbro in all of Drangleic... orz

Glass cannon is my build too! I just feel guilty using GRS. If you are having trouble against other players, try using the lingering flame pyromancy and homing crystal soulmass to keep enemies away. You can also surprise the hell out of people with the soul greatsword.... which works through walls and obstacles, by the way ;)

I actually like the Blue Sentinels Covenant, but I almost never get to invade with cracked blue eye orbs....

I actually like the Blue Sentinels Covenant, but I almost never get to invade with cracked blue eye orbs....
I wish they didn't have soul memory messing up invasion/summon rates, I could never seem to get summoned to other worlds and I feel like it's because invasions are really rare in Dark Souls 2. I stuck with blue sentinels as soon as I got past not-orenstein and quit around the 3/4 point of the game in order to be a sunbro and actually get stuff done.

Glass cannon is my build too! I just feel guilty using GRS. If you are having trouble against other players, try using the lingering flame pyromancy and homing crystal soulmass to keep enemies away. You can also surprise the hell out of people with the soul greatsword.... which works through walls and obstacles, by the way ;)
A yes, Soul Greatsword...I don't think I brought it up here. I forgot I'm discussing this game in two boards and in the other I went into specifics regarding my spell choices. Those being:
Great Resonant Soul (IT'S FAIR AND BALANCED!)
Soul Greatsword (it looks like it can be useful to catch opponents that dodge spells by rolling forward)
Affinity (I can only cast three orbs but it's a good choice to make a opponent move)
Wrath of the Gods (a fine selection of just the cheapest spells)
I'm currently fiddling around with Dark Fog and Soul Vortex but not getting much out of it. It kinda bugs me my PvP plan is shooting GRSs like I got a machimegun.
:PUN:(C'mon! that was a good one.)

Anyway, my adventures as the worst Bellbro ever continuing, I'd say the session's highlight was getting a guard break at first attempt and capitalizing on it. It's stupid, but I struggle with the forward+R1/R2 input... -_-"

Oh! And ran into a spawn camper. Dude just sits in a corner behind the invasion spot, then goes with the homing stuff and a spear or whatever. Killed me twice so I think he's doing that shit all day. I don't even get mad, I just feel sorry for someone who spends all day hiding in a corner just to spawn kill other players. And creeped out. Mostly the later because it's quite evident this is the only thing that makes the dude get off.

Reactions: Denizen
Anyway, my adventures as the worst Bellbro ever continuing, I'd say the session's highlight was getting a guard break at first attempt and capitalizing on it. It's stupid, but I struggle with the forward+R1/R2 input... -_-"
It's not stupid, that's actually one of my gripes about the game's controls. Far too many times have I meant to guard break and ended up attacking instead, leaving me wide open.
I've played all sorts of video games throughout my life and one thing I always enjoy is having a wide array of cardinal elements to use as magic. By cardinal elements I mean Fire, Wind, Water, Earth, Lightning, Ice, Etcetera. There are many more but my two favorites are Fire and Wood, since the latter is very rare in video games I'll focus only on the former.

I'm just going to gush for a moment, I LOOOOOVE FIRE. I was a pyromaniac when I was a kid and to this day my former obsession with it affects me, I would be lying if I said that it didn't influence my decision to become a Fire Fighter. I love learning how to start fire, how to put it out, and how to control it. I love its symbolism and its importance to the rise of mankind. I love everything about fire so when a game gives me the chance to control it, I take it. Dark Souls is fantastic for me because not only do I get to use Pyromancy, I don't have to use a wimpy little staff with it. I shoot that stuff right out of my damn hand, it's awesome.

For those of you who made it this far through my speech, I applaud you and reward you with the point of my rambling. There is a Pyromancy in Dark Souls II called Immolation that allows you to SET YOURSELF ON FIRE. I flipped out when I first heard of this because setting yourself on fire is the most badass thing to do in the middle of a fight. Trying to control one of nature's most primal forces is already cool, but letting it overtake you and charging at an enemy wreathed in flame to deal constant damage to them is taking awesomeness to another level.

HERE IS MY GRIPE. Immolation is virtually useless! Not only does it do constant damage to yourself, its damage output is pitiful and it can kill you! It's effective range is weak and when I tried using it in a duel it was just a hindrance!
Thanks a lot Dark Souls, you put the coolest spell in the game only for it to be unusable in battle.

Immolation is virtually useless! Not only does it do constant damage to yourself, its damage output is pitiful and it can kill you! It's effective range is weak and when I tried using it in a duel it was just a hindrance!
Thanks a lot Dark Souls, you put the coolest spell in the game only for it to be unusable in battle.
If you want a good Immolation spell, Dragon's Dogma does a much better job at it. Nothing like running around naked and on fire, climb up a Chimera and kill it just by clinging to it.
Skill_Magick_Archer_Immolation.gif

If you want a good Immolation spell, Dragon's Dogma does a much better job at it. Nothing like running around naked and on fire, climb up a Chimera and kill it just by clinging to it.
YOOOOOO, I DIDN'T KNOW THIS ABILITY WAS IN THE GAME? I've played Dragon's Dogma before and I never saw it! I guess it must be for a different class I never used.

Reactions: ruins72
Beowulf fan, Pyro maniac and a firefighter... Manliness overflowing

Beowulf fan, Pyro maniac and a firefighter... Manliness overflowing
I'm not a firefighter yet, not until I'm finished with the military.
<SHAMELESS SHOW-OFF

I recently discovered that Immolation isn't completely useless. Well functionally it still is but I gave it some worth. Now whenever I win a duel I set myself on fire and do the "Welcome" Gesture. I think of it as adding my own personal spice to an otherwise overused taunt.

OH MY GOD I CAN'T BREATHE
Yeah, first and second one are the best. Also he is blue spirit!

3:05 was my favorite part, namely because every time I hear that song I'm reminded of Destructoid's video review of Saints Row 2.
Still think Afro's an asshole for being a uncooperative Sunbro.

Anyway, here's something for you folks to try:
062.gif

In other news, far into NG++ and I'm only missing one sorcery to platinum the game. Yes, the Rank 2 Bell Keeper reward. =A=
I really hate this covenant. My targets are either obnoxious Havelinas or regular folks just trying to get by and I feel bad for hassling them.
I wish the trespasser-killing covenant would be in a area that is entirely optional, circumventable and with nothing of note...like Darkroot Forest was. The only reason you'll enter that place is to get ganked and even then members have "don't get jumped by your own" privilege.

Anywho, reallocated my points (upped HP from 10 to 20 by taking ATN from 40 to 32 and ADP from 10 to 8) and finished by build. Still haven't gotten the chance to try it on PvP.

Couple of observations:
- If you have a faith build, Lightning Dragon Chime is a must. You'll get the most bang from your Spears and assorted lightning miracles. Be warned that this baby takes 15 Twinkling Titanites to max and requires maxing the Pilgrims of Dark covenant to earn it.
- Wrath of the Gods got a very significant overhaul. I was surprised to see it only has ONE use and it's considerably slower as well. However, the AoE is good and it hits like a truck. Furthermore, it counts as Lightning so you know which chime will put it to the best use. Sadly, you can only buy one from Wellager during the current playthrough, so use it wisely.

I just made a hexer with the Uchigatana. Dark Weapon is great, and Resonant Weapon and great resonant Soul are amazing I'll probably get more attunement or something. I'm looking at the Breserker Blade though for a weapon. I will say that I HATE the washing pole as a weapon and the blacksteel katana is so ass. It just looks really cool. Learning to fight with spells instead of just fighting with my blade is quite different.

YOOOOOO, I DIDN'T KNOW THIS ABILITY WAS IN THE GAME? I've played Dragon's Dogma before and I never saw it! I guess it must be for a different class I never used.
Magic archers are fun :3

Magic archers are fun :3
I only wish I could use a sword as one, I can't fight with puny little daggers.

I only wish I could use a sword as one, I can't fight with puny little daggers.
If you're gonna fight with a dagger it's backstabs all day erryday.

@Balder has been giving DSII updates so maybe I should too. I've started a Knight Class by the name of Faraam, what I'm going for is the flagship DSII Character with a Greatsword and Standard Shield. I'm around SL 70 right now and I've put most of my souls into Vigor, Strength, and Vitality. I've put a few souls into Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith to fulfill some Equipment and NPC requirements.
Endurance is a little underleveled because I'm getting four Greatsword swings already and I haven't been forced to change it, despite this it's still higher than Intelligence and Faith. Once I get the Zweihänder I'm going to buff my stamina up a lot. Attunement and Adaptability are nearly untouched.

I'm using the Elite Knight Set until I reach Drangleic Castle to get Faraam's Set. My main weapon is a Claymore which is working fairly well for me. It has wide arcing swings, a heavy thrust attack, and it's very long for a Greatsword.
A couple extra feet of steel makes a huge difference in this game. I'm using the Golden Wing Shield for now to deal with magic casting enemies, but I want the Royal Kite Shield as soon as possible for that 100% damage reduction.

I joined the Blue Sentinels soon as I was able. My biggest problem with this Covenant is that I have to pay a Token of Fidelity for every single duel, but being randomly summoned to aid my weaker brethren in a two on one match is pretty cool and sort of makes up for it. I haven't tried invading any Blood Bros yet, but I'll work up to it eventually.

All in all this second play through is much more entertaining than my first. The Flame Swordsman that is my first character will always have a place in my burning heart, but the Blue Lion Knight that is my second character is quickly becoming my main.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balder
this seems like an interesting thing:

Dark Souls is the free game on 360 for people with Gold in June.