• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

ee7.gif

With Crown of the Sunken King scheduled to be released tomorrow, it's a good moment to get acquainted with the latest changes.
Version 1.06

The following is a list of bug fixes, changes and refinements to gameplay included in the Version update:
Fixed abnormal amounts of damage being caused by certain weapons
An upper limit has been set to the number of Souls a player can earn when fighting off invading players
Fixed the phenomenon where the player is not able to talk to Licia of Lindeldt
Fixed the progression-stopping phenomenon at Heide’s Tower when the host falls off right before the Dragonrider Boss Fight
Fixed the phenomenon in Majula where the door does not open even after moved by Licia of Lindeldt
Fixed the progression-stopping phenomenon when the player talks to Laddersmith Gilligan in Earthen Peak
Fixed the phenomenon when the poison pond does not disappear when the windmill is burned down and immobilized
Fixed the phenomenon when that the poison pond returns after the windmill is burned down and immobilized, and the player is summoned into another world as a Blue Savior then returned to their own world
Fixed the loading screen issue when you lose a deathmatch in the Undead Purgatory
Fixed the issue where saved data cannot be reloaded if the game is shut down right after the player is caught by the Darksucker, in an oil puddle in Black Gulch
Fixed the phenomenon where items do not disappear from inventory if they are thrown away while they are also being used
Fixed the ability to use parry while back-stepping
Fixed the ability to use parry while invincible
Fixed the phenomenon where the player floats in the air if attacked while hanging onto a rope
Fixed the phenomenon in Brightstone Cove Tseldora when the Duke's Dear Freja stops moving after defeating a summoned player in a NG+ playthru
Fixed the phenomenon where the Tseldora Den Key cannot be acquired after the confrontational event between Mild-mannered Pate and Creighton the Wanderer in Brightstone Cove Tseldora
Fixed the phenomenon where sound effects volume does not comply with the optional settings during the fight with the Looking Glass Knight
Fixed the jumping shortcut at the Shrine of Winter
Fixed the phenomenon where a summoning signature can be written near a bonfire in Belfry Sol Approach
Fixed the phenomenon where the floor trap in the Iron Keep is displayed differently on host and client worlds during multi-play
Fixed the phenomenon where the resume point is different from where the game was forced-quit after the player died
Fixed the issue where the selected message for deletion is not deleted, but a different message is deleted
Fixed the Halberd weapons sound effects that sometimes do not play when the weapon is swung
Adjusted the sound made when the Silver Eagle Kite Shield is hit
Fixed the issue where the player holding thrusting swords in both hands can cause continuous damage until the opponent’s stamina runs out
Fixed the phenomenon where the player dual-wields whips and only the Right-hand weapon hits the enemy
Adjustments were made so players can get out of the continuous attacks from Syan's Halberd
Adjustments were made so players can get out of the continuous attacks from a player who is dual-wielding with a Straight Sword and with the Red Rust Sword in their left hand
Defender Greatsword can be enchanted
Fixed the phenomenon where a heavy attack while holding Pate's Spear with both hands produces only one hit
Adjusted the Strong Attack of the Spider’s Silk when Dual-Wielding
Lucerne Strong Attack will penetrate shields
Adjusted the attack element type for the King's Ultra Greatsword
Adjusted the attack element type for the Drakekeeper's Warpick
Corrected the description of the attack type for the Archdrake Mace
Corrected the description of the attack type for Drakekeeper's Warpick
Fixed the Symbol Markings of “Galib, God of Disease” and “Caitha, Goddess of Tears” on the Name-Engraved Ring
Fixed the issue where the Information text sometimes does not display properly
Correction to the amount of damage inflicted against other players and enemies
Shortened the amount of time stunned when taking damage from multiple attacks

Calibrations 1.08

Health Recovery Items can no longer be used during any PvP
Increased the matching range for users in online play
Over-all balance adjustments made to weapons, armors, accessories and spells

Description of the modifications made to the main components and spells
Increased the durability and lowered the defense levels of the following armor sets (Helm, Armor, Gauntlets, Leggings)
Havel's Armor Set
Steel Armor Set
Gyrm Warrior Armor Set
Ironclad Armor Set
Old Ironclad Armor Set
Smelter Demon Armor Set
Alonne Knight Armor Set
Vengarl's Armor Set
Mastodon Armor Set
Rusted Mastodon Armor Set
Old Knight Armor Set
Drakekeeper Armor Set
Velstadt's Armor Set
Looking Glass Armor Set
Imperious Armor Set
Dragonrider Armor Set

Increases the damage of special single attack moves of the following weapons
Bandit's Knife
Manikin Knife

Increased the attack power of the following weapons
Thief Dagger
Broken Thief Sword
Foot Soldier Sword
Black Flamestone Dagger
Mail Breaker
Chaos Rapier
Spider's Silk
Black Scorpion Stinger
Ricard's Rapier (Strong Attack only)
Warped Sword
Manikin Sabre
Scimitar
Red Rust Scimitar
Melu Scimitar
Shotel
Monastery Scimitar
Uchigatana
Darkdrift
Chaos Blade
Blacksteel Katana (Strong Attack only)
Berserker Blade (Strong Attack only)
Bluemoon Greatsword
Royal Greatsword
Flamberge
Key to the Embedded
Zweihander
Smelter Sword
Drakewing Ultra Greatsword
Drakekeeper's Ultra Greatsword
Lost Sinner's Sword
Battle Axe
Bandit Axe
Bound Hand Axe
Hand Axe
Infantry Axe
Butcher's Knife
Crescent Axe
Bandit Greataxe
Black Dragon Greataxe
Giant Stone Axe
Gyrm Greataxe
Morning Star
Reinforced Club
Craftsman's Hammer
Blacksmith's Hammer
Homunculus Mace
Mace of the Insolent
Black Dragon Warpick
Aldia Hammer
Barbed Club
Iron King Hammer
Malformed Skull
Giant Warrior Club
Old Knight Hammer
Drakekeeper's Great Hammer
Dragon Tooth
Malformed Shell
Archdrake Mace
Spear
Winged Spear
Pike
Partizan
Stone Soldier Spear
Spitfire Spear
Silverblack Spear
Heide Spear
Pate's Spear
Dragonslayer Spear
Channeler's Trident
Gargoyle Bident
Great Scythe
Great Machete
Silverblack Sickle
Crescent Sickle
Full Moon Sickle
Scythe
Lucerne
Santier's Spear
Roaring Halberd
Old Knight Pike
Helix Halberd
Blue Knight's Halberd
Old Knight Halberd
Drakekeeper's Warpick
Twinblade
Red Iron Twinblade
Curved Twinblade
Dragonrider Twinblade
Claws
Malformed Claws
Notched Whip
Spotted Whip
Sorcerer's Staff
Witchtree Branch
Light Crossbow
Heavy Crossbow
Shield Crossbow

Decreased the amount of attack power of the following weapons
Drangleic Sword
Defender Greatsword
Large Club (Strong Attack only)
Pickaxe (Strong Attack only)
Great Club (Strong Attack only)
Gyrm Great Hammer (Strong Attack only)
Increased the status values of the following weapons
Shotel
Monastery Scimitar
Curved Dragon Greatsword
Chaos Blade
Flamberge
Key to the Embedded
Drangleic Sword
Defender Greatsword
Greatsword
Hand Axe
Infantry Axe
Butcher's Knife
Giant Stone Axe
Gyrm Greataxe
Morning Star
Reinforced Club
Craftsman's Hammer
Blacksmith's Hammer
Gyrm Great Hammer
Spear
Winged Spear
Pike
Partizan
Stone Soldier Spear
Spitfire Spear
Channeler's Trident
Gargoyle Bident
Full Moon Sickle
Helix Halberd
Blue Knight's Halberd
Old Knight Halberd
Work Hook

Decreased the durability of the Defender Greatsword and Watcher Greatsword
Increased the enchantment statistics Defender Greatsword and Watcher Greatsword
Increased the weight of the Defender Greatsword
Decrease the weight of the Butcher's Knife and Old Knight Halberd
Status value added to the Handmaid's Ladle

Decrease the amount of damage for the following weapons
Malformed Skull (Strong Attack only)
Giant Warrior Club (Strong Attack only)
Old Knight Hammer (Strong Attack only)
Drakekeeper's Great Hammer (Strong Attack only)
Dragon Tooth (Strong Attack only)
Malformed Shell (Strong Attack only)
Archdrake Mace (Strong Attack only)
Channeler's Trident (Strong Attack and Dual-wielding)
Helix Halberd (Strong Attack and Dual-wielding)
Drakekeeper's Warpick (Strong Attack and Dual-wielding)

Increased the amount of self-inflicted damage when using the Chaos Blade
Adjusted the hit detection for the Scythe of Want (Strong Attack only)
Increased the physical cut rate of the Shield Crossbow
Changes were made to the point of explosion and Blast area of the Old Sun Ring
Changes made to the effect of the Gower’s Ring of Protection – does not negate damage anymore, will reduce damage received
Improvements made to the penetrability of Soul Spear and Crystal Soul Spear

Improvements made to the tracking of the following Spells, Hexes, Pyromancy and Miracles
Soul Bolt
Soul Shower
Shockwave
Soul Spear Barrage
Blinding Bolt
Perseverance
Caressing Prayer
Heavenly Thunder
Fireball
Fire Orb
Great Fireball
Great Chaos Fireball
Lingering Flame
Dark Orb
Dark Hail
Resonant Soul

Decreased the amount of stamina consumed for the following Spells, Hexes, Pyromancy and Miracles
Soul Bolt
Soul Shower
Fire Orb
Great Fireball
Great Chaos Fireball
Lingering Flame
Iron Flesh

Increased spell usage for the following Spell and Miracle
Cast Light
Unveil

Improvements to the durability damage for the following Spells
Shockwave
Soul Spear Barrage

Decrease the number of multi-hits to the following Spells, Hexes and Pyromancy
Soul Vortex
Firestorm
Fire Tempest
Chaos Storm
Scraps of Life
Lifedrain Patch
Darkstorm

Decrease the attack power of the following Miracle
Blinding Bolt
Decreased the number of attunement slots required for the following Miracle and Pyromancy
Unveil
Immolation

Decrease the number of uses for the following Miracles and Hexes
Lightning Spear
Great Lightning Spear
Sunlight Spear
Emit Force
Soul Appease
Great Resonant Soul
Profound Still

Increase the damage for the following Miracle through correction to status values
Lightning Spear
Great Lightning Spear
Sunlight Spear
Emit Force

Increase the hit radius for the Miracle
Force

Increase the effectiveness of the following Pyromancy and Hex
Iron Flesh
Whisper of Despair (duration and effect)

Decrease the self-inflicted damage of Immolation
Increase the speed of chanting the following Hexes
Repel
Twisted Barricade

Decrease to the amount of durability damage done from Dark Hail
Increase the attacking power of Great Resonant Soul

Decrease character mobility while using the following items
Amber Herb
Twilight Herb
Wilted Dusk Herb

finally, finally they nerf Drangleic Greatsword and Defender greatsword... about time ;_;

Less hits with Soul Vortex??.... aww.....

Less hits with Soul Vortex??.... aww.....
They still aint fixng the dual wielding 2 CMW blue flame swords >:3

Reactions: Smilax
Just spent some quality time with the DLC area so here's some unsolicited impressions. :3

Right off the bat (and this is a general gameplay observation), it feels like stun-locking has been entirely removed. So much for the legend never dying...

New area observations/hints:
- It's accessible after The Rotten for a reason. I know I'm rusted and I've never been good at this game but the area has a very "bring your end game build" feel to it. It's hard and also very tricky to navigate at first as the architecture and palette are all very "samey".
- Stock up on arrows, poison moss and repair powder. You have been warned.
- Don't try to be a hero and go swords blazing with a melee build. It's what I'm doing and I'm getting stomped. <:3
- If you are going with a pure melee build, be prepared for a lot of necessary strategic retreats and some grueling duels (new enemies don't pull their punches).

If you have the Ashen Mist Heart, go to Vendrick's tomb.

After a lot of deaths, I finally made it to the first boss of the DLC area - Elana, the Squalid Queen. Surprisingly, I managed to beat her at first try but that was a VERY long, arduous battle. Appearancewise, she is essentially a Nashandra re-skin but there's a reason to that and I'll get to it. Anywho, she can summon help. And by help, I mean SHE SUMMONS VELSTADT. And after I took down the bastard, she called him again. Then I said "Screw it!" and just attacked her. =A=

Anyway, for those lore spoilers: the weapon made from Elana's soul has a discription similar to Nashandra's, which is to say, Elana is, like Nashandra, a fragment of Manus, Father of the Abyss.

Speculation: We'll be seeing more of the these Minishandras in the next DLC areas. Each fragment took the form of a woman, who became queen of the respective kingdom and brought it to ruin.

Last edited:
How much better are thieves in DS2 compared to 1? I basically played the game being stealthy with a knife and knights shield, but as I got near the end I had to rely a lot more on poisoning and timer scams. I also used a lot of pyromancy, and a little magic to mask my presence. Tbh I like my playstyle, but considering how hard it is to crit some enemies(read:impossible) I ended up having an unreasonably hard ime with certain enemies (why even have bleed and poison if the majority of enemies are COMPLETELY IMMUNE TO IT?)

We'll be seeing more of the these Minishandras in the next DLC areas.
I haven't played DS2 yet, but seeing the DLC being played on stream I figure in the future From is totally going to re-use Manus' own model/animations.

I booted up the DLC for the first time last night, but my all caster build was not cutting it, so now I have to learn to play the game, haha. Decided to use a soul vessel and go for the twin Blue Flame swords, they are so much fun! (Still plenty of spell options too)

I haven't played Dark Souls II in a while, but I have a quick question for the pros here.
Can you name all of the weapons with a parry instead of a strong attack?

- Don't try to be a hero and go swords blazing with a melee build. It's what I'm doing and I'm getting stomped. <:3
- If you are going with a pure melee build, be prepared for a lot of necessary strategic retreats and some grueling duels (new enemies don't pull their punches).

But I always tend play melee oriented builds, I think they are the most fun and rewarding. And the most pain-inducing. :p

I had the misfortune of starting the DLC on NG+, so I guess I made it more difficult than necessary, but I found Elana to be nearly maddening... From summoning Velstadt back to back in one encounter, to summoning Velstadt AND skeletons in another. Can't think of many bosses that killed me more than her. I eventually beat her because she summoned the baby pigs, so I guess I lucked out there.

I know many people hated them, but I liked the "gank squad" boss fight. It's actually quite intense, having to manage each NPC's fighting style and having to watch them all and trying to not get overwhelmed. Eh, maybe I'm crazy.

As for Sinh, I'm still fighting him. Or rather, I stopped right before him. I'll give him a go some time later.

I didn't get the season pass because I was skeptical at first, but I eventually caved and now I think it's worth it.

Reactions: ruins72 and Avil
But I always tend play melee oriented builds, I think they are the most fun and rewarding. And the most pain-inducing. :p
Agreed. I think that, to get the real Dark Souls experience, you gotta get up-close and personal with enemies. Alas, there's always the temptation to cower away and make use of the many crutches the game provides. In DS1, that crutch was pyromancy - accessible and useful to everyone and ATN slots were more generous; now, in DS2, my crutch is pretty much pussying out and summon someone.
(.__.)

I know many people hated them, but I liked the "gank squad" boss fight. It's actually quite intense, having to manage each NPC's fighting style and having to watch them all and trying to not get overwhelmed. Eh, maybe I'm crazy.

As for Sinh, I'm still fighting him. Or rather, I stopped right before him. I'll give him a go some time later.
I'm stuck on them. It's REALLY trying my patience. I can barely put a dent on any of them. I even went and fully upgraded a Drakewing Sword to see if it could give me some leverage. It doesn't. I don't know how the Hell I'm supposed to manage Havel and a dual katana guy while avoiding great arrows. I do pitiful damage to each and can't even fish for backstabs. I swear these pricks read inputs.

Moved on to other pastures and after about 7 attempts, I managed to beat Sinh...or rather, I got a Sunbro to help me and went nuts with the Drakewing gust special (spent a lot of repair powders in this damn fight). It's a very annoying fight because that douche spends most of the fight in the air. When I thought there couldn't be anything worse than Kalameet...

Side note, kudos to whoever thought of the moving squirt statue clusters AND give them petrification. What a fun and not obnoxious idea. -_-"

I'm at SL70, btw (my customary self-imposed NG level cap).

#CrownoftheSaltKing

Last edited:
Reactions: AWP112
After forgetting I started the DLC on my NG+ file and making it to Elana, I started a new file yesterday so I could experience it normally >.>
I'm only at the Iron Keep so far, with all the other old ones or whatever killed. I'm trying to get all my old stuff before I even attempt the DLC ;_____;

I'm stuck on them. It's REALLY trying my patience. I can barely put a dent on any of them. I even went and fully upgraded a Drakewing Sword to see if it could give me some leverage. It doesn't. I don't know how the Hell I'm supposed to manage Havel and a dual katana guy while avoiding great arrows. I do pitiful damage to each and can't even fish for backstabs. I swear these pricks read inputs.

Moved on to other pastures and after about 7 attempts, I managed to beat Sinh...or rather, I got a Sunbro to help me and went nuts with the Drakewing gust special (spent a lot of repair powders in this damn fight). It's a very annoying fight because that douche spends most of the fight in the air. When I thought there couldn't be anything worse than Kalameet...

Side note, kudos to whoever thought of the moving squirt statue clusters AND give them petrification. What a fun and not obnoxious idea. -_-"

I'm at SL70, btw (my customary self-imposed NG level cap).

#CrownoftheSaltKing
Why the SL restriction, out of curiosity?

I've heard the trio was somewhat designed with co-op in mind, though it's definitely doable solo. I personally ran around like a mad man in an attempt to separate the Havel guy and dual swordsman as much as possible from the bowman so I could focus on him. I also made sure to use the environment to my advantage(constantly dropping off and using that opportunity to heal or to attack), it's surprisingly advantageous. I'm almost certain they have special AI compared to the other human enemies, though.

Fought Sinh as well, he was definitely mad annoying with all his flying around like he was allergic to the ground or something. Though if I were a dragon, I guess I'd do the same, haha. Also I swear the hitbox on that ramming neck attack thing is screwed up, all my deaths were due to that move. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who thinks this guys is worse than Kalameet. Only difficult thing about him was getting his stupid tail....

Also petrification statues are the best(not really).

After forgetting I started the DLC on my NG+ file and making it to Elana, I started a new file yesterday so I could experience it normally >.>
I'm only at the Iron Keep so far, with all the other old ones or whatever killed. I'm trying to get all my old stuff before I even attempt the DLC ;_____;

But Elana on NG+ is totally fair and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun. You should've kept at it.

Why the SL restriction, out of curiosity?
A small batch of "reasons".
- Don't want to overlevel and plow through the game (like my experience with Dragon's Dogma);
- Don't want to make the enemies in the next run too strong (as they scale with the player's level);
- I appreciate the strengths&weaknesses aspect of placing a level cap in a build;
- Don't want to let sempai down. "Sempai" being a PSN friend who's been giving me pointers since I started with DS1. Also the type to plow through the game with low level builds (I think his self-imposed cap for DS2 is around SL20).

*spoilers*
The thing with the Gank Squad is that if the allies go the way of the dodo, we're left dealing with a trio all pumped up.
It wouldn't be so bad if the damn sniper stayed in place but she chases us down as well. The attempt where I lasted longer was mostly spent with all four us running around the area in a single line in something more akin to the ending of a Benny Hill Show than a boss fight. All that was missing was the sped-up camera and music.

Yeah, Sinh's neck ram is pretty much the game's way of telling us off.
I don't think he'd be as hard as Kalameet if he spent more time on the ground. I find him worse than Kal but more on the annoying side than difficult. I admit the AotA bosses are some of the hardest in the series for me, especially Manus. Kal is mostly a exercise in patience or, at least, that's the approach I can work.

But Elana on NG+ is totally fair and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun
...and pwetty. :3

EDIT: Gank Squad beaten.
For the sake of intellectual honesty, I can't claim any of the laurels. Most of the work was done by the player who assisted me, a Greatsword user with Hex buffs. While many may scoff the choices, he/she very skillfully dealt with constant pressure by two of that trio. I practically just served as bait for great arrows and the occasional distraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruins72 and AWP112
lol AWP I didn't delete my old file, and I will get back to it in a bit, I just wanna see the difference.

Been playing a lot of pvp lately since the DLC. Doing things like joining the bellbro covenant, killing chumps and earning chunks and hidden weapon, then joining the brotherhood of blood and doing a tiny bit of invasions and tossing in my red sign into the belfry to mess up some bellbros (although sometimes the world master wanted to fight too).

In short I tried the Sanctum Crossbow on a whim and infused it with dark as well as upgrading it a bit and that heavy attack is GOOD. Like making me feel like a scumbag good. Basically what the two handed heavy attack does is shoot out a reasonably fast resonant soul looking dark magic projectile at the cost of durability. I feel like I can use it around 4-5 times before it gets close to breaking without the bracing knuckle ring. This is pretty nuts considering getting a solid hit with it is dealing like half of most player's health and since it's magic the damage when blocked is pretty reasonable as well. On one occasion I got summoned into the world of a magic caster type guy with soul spears and the seeking type magic already up when I got in. When I hit him it did about 90% of his health in one hit to the point where even if he had a shield and blocked the next one he would have died anyway. I'm using the bracing knuckle ring and the old leo ring as its bonus applies to crossbows however I don't know if it applies to the heavy attack as well. As another bonus you can use the crossbow's normal aiming method to also aim the attack so sniping with it is in the realm of possibilities ( I haven't tried it.) I'm not sure if it is actually super good or I'm blowing it out of proportion and people just don't expect it. Like all magic its pretty dodge-able and you're pretty vulnerable after shooting. I encourage others to try it out themselves and prove me right/wrong as it's a pretty easy item to grab as its right next to a bonfire.

tl;dr Dark Magic, In Short: Great Weapon?

just for fun I looked that crossbow of your up.

Dark Magic kind of destroys the weapon in a bad way, since it does not give any better scaling, lowers it phys dmg more then any other infusion. HOWEVER, it boosted the dmg of the special attack alone but that was pretty much it. (this was quite weird to be honest)
Dark magic was/is generally the best enchantment since it is VERY hard to build against dark dmg in PvP, hence why Hexes are so frequently used. (I ran dual katana, 1 dark and 1 fire and I just 2-3 shotted everyone that was not a tank)

Depends on your faith level, I'd say try another element and/or keep it basic, might try raw? since the special attack dmg seems to be enhanced dmg of its basic instead of a seperate stat of its own... There might be some hidden stats that cant be seen but on paper, it should not make the crossbow a lot better.

Edit: a build with some invested INT points might be better off with a fire/lightning infusion due to the C scaling in INT they give while still not reducing the dark C faith scaling.

NOTE: It has the highest base dmg of all crossbows in the game regardless (not counting several Avelynn hits on 1 shot)

i was reading up on the lore behind two similar characters in DS2
Nashandra & Elana are both fragments/parts of Manus.

So now all I can imagine is Manus talking like Hakan does in SF4 about his many daughters.

Not really DS related but there was a new Bloodborne trailer at Gamescom:
It's looking very impressive. I hope this doesn't end like DS2 in terms of discrepancy between early builds and the final product because those are some really great ideas they got. Seems like a test between the beginning area of Resident Evil 4 and Dragon's Dogma's day-night cycle deal with more active enemies at night.

I really do want that Bloodbourne game so much, but IIRC it is going to be PS4 exclusive which makes me a really sad panda :/

I wanted to get a PS4 eventually, but I think Bloodborne will force my hand a little early. Can't resist :P

Now actually Dark Souls related, during Gamescom '14, From gave us a peek at the next DLC chapter - Crown of the Old Iron King

CotOIK_preview_2.jpg

CotOIK_preview_13.jpg

I just started playing dark souls 1 again. Do you guys think I should main the halberd or lucy.

I just started playing dark souls 1 again. Do you guys think I should main the halberd or lucy.
you mean standard halberd or black knight version?

Great Scythe Master Race! JOIN US!

Great Scythe Master Race! JOIN US!
Haven't really tried out Great Scythe. What's it good at?

My main character got lucky with drops early on a Balder Knight dropped a Side Sword and I ran with that.

Maybe its time to start a new character.

you mean standard halberd or black knight version?
standard

Haven't really tried out Great Scythe. What's it good at?

My main character got lucky with drops early on a Balder Knight dropped a Side Sword and I ran with that.

Maybe its time to start a new character.

In DS1 it was the weapon for a dex build that did the most dps out of all dex weapons (not counting quality builds cause that might change slightly) and its move set, especially the running f+light attack, is AMAZING. Once mastared you can hit people behind you with it, I am serious, it is silly!

so yea, people who did not go for Balder Swag Sword runs started to opt in for Great Scythe due to its amazing reach, great dps, amazing zoning capabilties.

Biggest downside was that it drained your stamina like no tomorrow and if you would get wiffed, you are quite open for counter attacks, still less then your average halbard mind, but still it can screw you over in PvP big time

That video talking about the Skeleton Warrior enemies in the dlc reminded me of the true final boss of DS2...
0nf.gif

2Spooky

Bloodborne demo from Gamescom '14:
It looks bleepin' amazing. Easily the first title that's managing to goad me into jumping on the next-gen bandwagon.

That cheeky fucker in the wheelchair!

Reactions: AWP112 and Smilax
well, i'm starting a new character in Dark Souls 1 to finally attempt "Knight's Honor" (which is get all "rare" weapons on a single character)

so what's a good build for tail chopping?

Now, don't get me wrong, Bloodborne looks positively amazing, but does anyone think seems little too...casul forgiving? I'll definitely be picking it up because I'm in love with the devs, but I still want some challenge to be in it. I know it's technically not a Souls game, but I got expectations, ya know?

well, i'm starting a new character in Dark Souls 1 to finally attempt "Knight's Honor" (which is get all "rare" weapons on a single character)

so what's a good build for tail chopping?

I honestly thought that specific weapons and builds didn't particularly matter when going for tails, as long as you hit the correct spot a certain number of times. The issue with some tails is consistently hitting the right spot(I'm looking at you Seath...) and actually getting the tail BEFORE you kill the enemy. I also think that infusions can actually hinder that process as well, depending on the type and enemy(Don't quote me on this) So weaker(non-infused), long range weapons(spear ftw) definitely helped me. If you really want to make it easier, cooperating with another player and one player acting as bait while another goes for the tail. Also, good luck getting Kalameet's tail, his was by far the most difficult imo.

If you really want to make it easier, cooperating with another player and one player acting as bait while another goes for the tail. Also, good luck getting Kalameet's tail, his was by far the most difficult imo.
Reading up on it seems to indicate that Kalameet isn't included since he's a DLC guy.

Depends on the opponent.

The Bridge Wyvern, for example, is a massive PITA that most just shoot the tail off him with a bow. Some bosses have their tails up high enough that you need a weapon with good vertical coverage to hit it, some you're better off with a sweeping weapon...

You can probably tell that it's been a while since I played DS1. I only remember the most difficult ones being Bridge Wyvern, Seath, Kalameet, and some might say Priscilla.

Bridge Wyvern, like I said earlier, you can shoot it off with a bow. If you're feeling ballsy, you can lure him down from the bridge, run past his side as he lands, and go nuts on his tail with a vertical-swinging weapon. It's far quicker with a good weapon, but you'll probably die soon afterwards.

Seath is a little tricky. Best method I know of is to get to the crystal, wait for him to get as close to you as possible, shatter the crystal, rush towards the tip of his tail and cut it off as fast as possible. Pretty important here because the area to cut his tail is pretty small compared to others.

Priscilla just needs to be revealed before you go for her tail. Amazing tip I found online: Throwing Knives. You'll probably pick up a good amount of them from the Painting Guardians earlier, you probably have enough to do this. Just watch for her footprints, throw knives at her until she reveals herself and go nuts.

Last edited:
Priscilla is the hardest due to the amount of tail that is actually "chopable" it is easy to miss and you need to deal I think 20% of her life or something like that on the tail for it to fall off... it is a pain....

and for easiest strat, I do recall that there should be at least 1 2H greatsword and or Axe who can chop of a boss' tail within 1 or 2 blows with an optimized STR build.... Can not remember what weapons though....

I never really bothered for the tails in my DS1 runs because i never wanted to use those weapons.

Also only 4 more days or so till the second part of DS2 dlc comes out and I'm hype for it. The First one was really fun and this next one will prolly also be fun for me.

Trouble getting Priscilla's tail? WUT R U, CASULS?
Maybe I lucked out but it was the easiest tail chop I ever got in the game. Used a 2-handed R2 with the Black Knight Sword while she was standing there and SNIP! New dagger!
Kalameet's was the worst, the fight took me around half an hour (shouldn't have waited it for NG+++ to do it). Played it extremely safe.

Anyway, you folks read the notes for the upcoming calibration? RIP in peace caster builds
The following fixes, changes, and refinements are included in the update:
• Undead Crypt: Fixed the bell not ringing if you continuously attack the bell that appears after Ledia’s shaman appears.

Adjustments that will be made with Calibrations 1.10 (all following changes):
• Balanced fatal blows done on other players in online multiplayer

• Spell parry time and area of effect has been raised:
o Cleric's Parma
o Cleric's Small Shield
o Cursed Bone Shield
o Spirit Tree Shield
o Golden Wing Shield
o Shield of the Insolent
o Grand Spirit Tree Shield

• Spell parry time has been raised:
o King's Mirror

• Lowered damage caused by the following weapons:
o Defender's Shield
o Havel's Greatshield
o Gyrm Greatshield
o Dragonrider Greatshield

• Lowered defense of:
o Gyrm Helm
o Gyrm Warrior Helm
o Gyrm Warrior Greathelm
o Smelter Demon Helm
o Velstadt's Helm
o Black Witch Robe

• Raised effect of:
o Stone Ring

• Changed so the effect does not apply to spells:
o Red Tearstone Ring

• Raised defense against enemies in offline play only (multiplayer not affected)
o Ring of Steel Protection

• Lowered effect of:
o Clear Bluestone Ring +2

• Raised casting time and lowered strength of:
o Soul Spear

• Raised casting time, lowered strength, raised required magic slots, and raised usage count for:
o Crystal Soul Spear

• Lowered effectiveness of:
o Strong Magic Shield

• Lowered damage of:
o Soul Geyser
o Soul Shower
o Lightning Spear
o Great Lightning Spear
o Sunlight Spear
o Emit Force
o Blinding Bolt
o Heavenly Thunder
o Fire Whip
o Affinity
o Scraps of Life
o Resonant Soul
o Great Resonant Soul

• Spells “Sacred Oath” and “Bountiful Sunlight”
o Casting this on one's self will now diffuse all support effects
o Having it cast by someone else will not diffuse other support effects
o Casting spells on yourself to create other support effects after having these used will diffuse the effect of the above spells
(players cannot use the effects of these spells in conjunction with other effects from spells they cast on themselves)

• Spells “Numbness” and “Resonant Flesh”
o Casting this on one's self will now diffuse all support effects
o Casting spells on yourself to create other support effects after having these used will diffuse the effect of the above spells
(players cannot use the effects of these spells in conjunction with other effects from spells they cast on themselves)
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html